A guy who threatened Gabe Newell had his game removed from Steam (3 years ago)

nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
So i found a link to this kotaku article from 2014 on a guy whose game got removed from Steam for sending a death threat. 
http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-1648678869

Tldr: On release Steam accidently gave this guy's game the "early access" title. The developer got really angry on twitter, saying Valve was taking money out of his pocket and stuff, but then he tweeted

"I am going to kill Gabe Newell. He is going to die."

Literally on the same day, his game was taken off Steam.
So i know we've brought up how tweets can get you fired in this forum before, but i didn't really think of it as a single tweet. It feels like people get away with ridiculous tweets all the time (cough Jontron cough), but to have such swift and strong action taken against the guy surprises me. The tweet seems so empty. You're angry enough to tweet death threats, i doubt anyone accepts that as real. Feel like there's a reasonable argument that the complete ejection of the dudes game when Valve had the initial mess up is unfair as hell. Not that i blame Valve. They legitimately messed up and should have helped the guy out, but the death threat was unnecessary and unacceptable. It pumps bad blood into the relationship, upsets whoever reads the tweet, and frankly came out of nowhere.

This is the thing about being the little guy, you have no power. This is a dictatorship. You're completely subject to the whims of your boss in a normal job and Steam in this case. They could have fixed the problem and let it go, but they're probably working under the mentality of "we don't really want to work with this guy." Makes me wonder what else Valve removed and we haven't heard of.

Death threats in general are so bizarre. I can never really take them seriously but the fear and paranoia they incite are very real and when there is something important on the line (like your life), you're forced to take them seriously. Maybe that's the point, similar to toxicity in a MOBA maybe it's all about trying to get a reaction so people have to pay attention to you. I'm not sure, either way i pretty heavily side with Valve on this drama (that happened three years ago and i revived for the sake of rambling about death threats).
youtube.com/nujumkey
Twitter is @nujumkey
Steam is Nujumkey

Comments

• UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 244Member
    Why are you censoring Valve?
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
  • RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    Are you serious?

I mean... Come on... Valve may have made an honest mistake (at worst, it's entirely possible the guy put in the information incorrectly himself), but this guy's reaction was fucknuts insane.

Even if we ignore the death threat (and really we shouldn't), his first reaction to discovering his game was incorrectly still flagged as Early Access was not to contact Valve's Steam Dev support to inform them of this... Or go to his Dev account and flag the game as released... But to launch a raving twitter tirade (that was to pretty much guaranteed to solve nothing).

So... What's the real reason you've decided to bring up this three year old kerfuffle and tried to present it as Valve being the one who's in the wrong?
  • nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
    edited March 25
    Excuse me?
    Im not trying to start some conspiracy theory agaisnt valve, and i sided with Valve in this scenario xD.

Just found this to be an interesting case of how twitter and death threats can affect your business. Also i can see a lot of ways Valve could have handled the situation, maybe better maybe worse. Figured a discussion could bring out a lot of nuance
    Post edited by nujumkey on
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 295Member
    For the record, the game returned to Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250580/
  • galdon Posts: 259Member
    You are making absolutely no sense at all. It's a dictatorship for someone to exercise their right to deny service when they are threatened with violence? Somehow, not wanting to work with a person who flies off the handle at the slightest problem and sends out a public death threat means their own ethics are called into question? 

You are saying that you side with Valve but the things you suggest in your post say the exact opposite. By saying you side with them, while also saying that Valve "should have been the bigger person", comparing them to a dictatorship, and implying that they "might be hiding something" you are basically pulling a "But Brutus is an honorable man" with your post. 

Nobody should feel obligated to work with someone who has threatened them. No matter how credible or non-credible the threat is. Cutting professional ties with someone who has threatened you is not the same as using your position of influence to censor someone who you do not like, and the two should not be conflated with each other. 
  • nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
    I dropped the ball on this one huh ;-;
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
  • Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
    @nujumkey The biggest problem is how communication works. If you say something too directly, it's often difficult to backpedal and explain yourself. People will insist on phrases like "don't be afraid to express yourself," "there is no stupid question," etc, but if you word something poorly or are too aggressive on a stance early, people tend to have a harder time letting that stance go.

Also, even at 3 years ago, with all the information we have now, if it's a subject that got people riled up then, it's likely to get them riled up now.

The most you can really do is try and choose your words carefully, and even as a writer and an ENFJ, I find that the right word at the right time can sometimes be incredibly difficult.