Forum Rules Discussion

lightlight Posts: 270Member
So regarding that we've been having a lot of spam and it can't be all that easy to manage, wouldn't it solve the issue at least 95% of the time if we set up a rule where members can't create threads until they've posted 10 times? I don't think the bots are smart enough for that to make matters worse...
Darklurker!
Ana - Davey Wreden - Niles - Catwoman - Thwomp - Zazu

Comments

• nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 284Member
    that sounds like it would just make bots post in existing threads, but i don't really know how forum bots work so maybe?
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 267Member
    Maybe we need one of us that's around a lot as a mod, if only just to remove spam. A spammod.
  • ChazChaz Posts: 376Moderator
    @Pyrian I'm here a lot, just not so much over the weekend.

Anyway I'll bring this to Iko's attention because jeez the spam is pissing me off.
  • UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 234Member
    edited March 6
    @Chaz "jeez the spam is pissing me off." Says the forum member who posted his last thread THREE TIMES.
    Post edited by Untaxable on
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
  • KOKOSternKOKOStern Posts: 148Member
    The standard forum bots usually create new threads and won't post in open threads in most cases. It's a good solution, alongside putting a good unique simple question or three on sign-up, something like "What's the name of the hero in the Zelda games?" or "What's the name of Mario's brother?" Those fend off 95% of the basic bot attacks.
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 401Member
    @light Much as I like them and have seen them work elsewhere historically*, rules like that seem to be disfavored by many communities as they are seen as adding a layer of work that may make new people less likely to join the community.

@Pyrian I've seen that done elsewhere before, but the viability of it depends on community and mod team trust of whoever is given that role and on the specifics of the forum software.

@KOKOStern The current standard ones maybe, older ones did post in existing threads and often got quickly removed because they're even more noticeable than when starting a new thread (admittedly here neither is a solid strategy as new threads are reasonably rare and the very ultra-generic titles that are common to bots stick out like a sore thumb compared to our normal). 
    Adding questions like that as a custom part of the registration process may work, but is likely to be a reasonable amount of extra work to integrate into the forum software (a couple hours, but still) and while they'll work against bots expecting a vanilla (or other common variant) version of the process they'll not stop the ones where an actual human sets up the account then turns it over to a bot, which is a reasonably common thing anymore as I understand it, nor the actual humans posting spam much fewer of 'em and less active anyway.

*I used to be part of an anime forum that had a new member introductions section and you couldn't post in or read other sections until you had posted there five times and had been a member for a few weeks (cant remember exactly how long).
    I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
  • TriboundTribound Posts: 132Member
    @KOKOStern and what if I've never played a Zelda game before? -_-
    "The worst thing about Kotaku are the people who hate Kotaku." -- Chaz, March 2016
    @Tribound Then use Google? o.O
  • RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    edited March 13
    Unfortunately, simple questions that can be answered by a Google search are no match for the current generation of ad bots. Because even basic current generation ad bots are capable of recognising that something is a question and running that question through Google and interpret the answer.

"What's the name of Mario's brother?" for instance returns '(brother) Luigi' on Google.

Complex questions are better.

"Which instrument featured prominently in the fifth Zelda game?" for instance doesn't immediately spit out the answer on Google, but if you Google what the fifth Zelda game actually is...

Post edited by Robrecht on
  • TaciturnTaciturn Posts: 35Member
    How about automatically checking for the absence of hyperlinks before a thread can be posted?
    edited April 3
    I am all for any security measure that in no way effects me, personally.
    The problem seems to be getting worse. Hoping there's a fix in the works.
    Lets play a game, which spam headline is your favorite? This one is a bit plain but mine is "The way in which To End Up Being Happy"
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    "The steel fabrication chicago may take your breath away" - What is that even supposed to be? Why would anyone want to click on that?
    "Why Choose Promotional codes While you shop Online" - To save money, stupid.
    "Live Cam Force" - Is... Is that an anime?
  • galdon Posts: 239Member
    Holy mcguffin there are a ton of spambot threads. X_X something needs to be done to discorage them before we can't even find normal threads anymore.
    @Pyrian Even better, now they're trying to push TENS units.

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
    "Which Choice To Determine In The Event That Muscle Mass Building Is The Thing That You Are Trying To" - I suppose this spammer is using google translate?
    Google translate, or SEO Gibberish Generator?
    edited April 24
    "Al-Azhar Memorial Garden is an ideal Muslim Cemetery"
    Wait wut. People advertise cemetaries? There are muslim specific cemetaries? Im so confused
    Post edited by nujumkey on
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    That sweet sweet SEO juice
    "Pass your SAP SAP ABAP C TAW12 750 exam in 1st attempt, guarantee certification"
    The spam is more poetic than we know.

@Untaxable ; Yeah.  After watching that I started wondering whether we had seen anything on here from Onisack... unfortunately I have no way to know.

OMG now they're advertising their spam engine: "Incredible approach to finding the most effective Search engine marketing solutions will certainly b"
    I may be wrong and dear god do I hope so, but I'm beginning to suspect we may be seeing the results of some associative algorithm correlating search history data with user names on here.  I've seen a few things related to stuff I've been searching the last six months show up the last couple weeks.  Last week I saw astrology/zodiac related stuff and that was a topic I was searching a few months back for a project I'm working on and just now I saw one called "Pinterest Primitive Decorating Ideas" which has a reasonable correlation with my interest the last few months in primitive pottery which I've been considering taking up as a hobby thanks to the Primitive Technology YouTube channel (searches that have multiple times taken me to Pintrest, I'll add, because people use that obnoxiously designed site for some reason).

edited April 27
    They also seemed to have picked up on your man crush for Carl Kruse.
    edited April 27
    That sounds like a coincidence given the crazy range and amount of spam weve gotten over the past few weeks
    Post edited by nujumkey on
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    Yeah, like Dark Side of the Rainbow; you notice the hits more than the misses and it feels like a pattern
    @Untaxable Who?

Whoever was cleaning this mess may have given up...
    Whoever was cleaning this mess may have given up...

Or he's gone to Canada for his sister in-law's wedding.

Sorry about this, guys, I'm gonna see Iko about maybe getting another mod in here.