E3 2017 will be open to the public.

EdibleGreenTeaEdibleGreenTea Posts: 34Member
http://bgr.com/2017/02/08/e3-2017-consumer-passes-how-to-buy/

E3 announced recently that this year's E3 will be open to the public for the first time ever so that gamers and journalists can enjoy it together. What are your thoughts on this development? I think it could be a very good thing seeing as gamers aren't relying on news sites as much anymore and are gravitating to more direct ways of getting their news and thoughts on gaming like let's players and online web shows.

Either way, this could be interesting for the industry as a whole. Let's see how it plays out.

Comments

• PyrianPyrian Posts: 267Member
    I can't help thinking it's less a "new, exciting development" and more of a "desperate cry for help from a fading institution". I mean, those aren't mutually exclusive options.
  • EdibleGreenTeaEdibleGreenTea Posts: 34Member
    Maybe, I think it sounds like a fun experiment. (I've always wanted to go to E3 myself, so there's a reason why I'm so optimistic about this.)
  • NotPlatoNotPlato Posts: 397Member
    There's no reason to go to E3 as someone who isn't mainstream games press that isn't better served by going to PAX. 
    Welcome to The Tangent Hour. I, NotPlato, will be your host tonight.
    I am become moar educated. This isn't even muh final for(u)m.
    In the winding gravel road of literary theory, it is impossible to leave 'no stone unturned'.
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 267Member
    But what if you miss the 3-minute PAX sign-up window?
  • KOKOSternKOKOStern Posts: 148Member
    "E3, the biggest video game trade show on the planet..."

Ahh, Gamescom being totally open and for the public is way bigger than E3. Like, by a factor of ~6 (E3 ~50K, Gamescom ~350k).

In any case this is basically a simple cash grab that won't compromise the event for the industry as it's not letting in the masses, just enough people to not overcrowd the place yet still make a profit. Smart business decision really. Good luck trying to get a ticket thou...