Spam spam spam spam...

RenaWile4RenaWile4 Posts: 1Member
edited December 2016 in Other Mediums
Spam spam spam spam spam...

Post edited by Chaz on

Comments

• lightlight Posts: 290Member
    Jeez, what is with all the spam we get these days...
    Drake Bell!
    Darklurker - Ana - Davey Wreden - Niles - Catwoman - Thwomp - Zazu
  • @light Are there more bots than usual? The activity here is very low, so perhaps nobody is deleting the spam.
    I support NotPlatoSimulator2013 on Kickstarter, so should you.
  • lightlight Posts: 290Member
    @NosyArgentCommander ;It's getting deleted, I just don't remember this kind of thing ever happening on the old forum.
    Drake Bell!
    Darklurker - Ana - Davey Wreden - Niles - Catwoman - Thwomp - Zazu
  • nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
    think maybe we're getting more traffic?
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 295Member
    Maybe the CAPTCHA is defeated?
  • ChazChaz Posts: 385Administrator
    I'd say there's generally less here than on the old forums, though it comes in waves. Though maybe it's because bots have an easier time cracking Vanilla forums than phpBB.

Anyway I implore you not to respond to bot topics, as that's how they work. The more activity that gets seen on their threads the more that google and alexa bots will think it's genuine and the link moves up in their ranks for search terms.
  • DemiganDemigan Posts: 110Member
    If I say something stupid, assume it's the fish talking
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 428Member
    @Chaz I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we're a bit thinner on mod staff here than the old forums (I would check and do a head count, but the old forums no longer work).  For most things that's fairly fine as we're a much smaller community now as judged by total user count and even less prone to generally problematic behavior than we were then, but it means spam will not get cleared as quick as it was there and thereby be more noticeable.  This is of course exacerbated by the fact that spam attempts online have kept increasing since the internet became public back in the '90s.
    I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
    @vlademir1 Most of the mod team are dealing with life stuff right now and can't really find the time for the forums, leaving me mostly to fend for myself. Which is fine usually, but last week I fell ill. You'll also have to bear in mind that I'm on just one timezone here so if spam crops up during American evening hours, it might take a while for it to be removed.
  • UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 244Member
    Well Chaz, you almost passed my Turing test. Good effort!
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
    @Chaz Meh, I was explaining the likely reason for the seemingly larger amount of spam we see here by comparison which you'd mentioned, not complaining about it :D  For me to get all "ZOMG! TEH SPAM!" would require this forum to hit the same kinds of issues one forum I used to frequent years ago ultimately did.
    The mods and admins couldn't keep up with the volume of spam in spite of an active five man team and it hit the point the server had to be taken down and reconfigured by their hosting provider because of spam bots effectively DDoSing every site they hosted
    .  Turned out that the capcha provided by their hosting provider was misconfigured during an update and only providing a small subset of what it was supposed to so was predictable and easily bypassed.  You legit couldn't read the site for all the spam, and the team was spending six hours a day each just dealing with the spam posts and banning the accounts and falling further behind each day despite that.

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
  • DraczarDraczar Posts: 261Moderator
    I've been sick and started a new job... probably related in the opposite order... that's my excuse.
  • Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
    I agree that what spam has shown up so far -for when I've actually been around- is perfectly reasonable. It's something that just happens, sadly, and we recognize that while what's causing it is software, what's answering it is not. Keep up the good work.  :)
  • nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
    It seems to be coming up a lot more O.o
    We advertising somewhere
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    Whole first page is now spam. :p
    Shit, man, I'd be willing to mod just to have the site back, and I computer very poorly. It's the real reason I don't even bother at trying to be an Indie.  :'(
    @Pyrian I looked in on here earlier as I was leaving work (around the time you posted) and yeah the front page was stickied threads (Intros and Rules) this thread, the thread about the latest EC and spam all the way into the second page.  I usually try to take the time and flag spam when I see it on here (typically with, what I hope is, amusing snark), but that wall was ludicrous enough that I felt despondent and didn't bother which has unfortunately happened a few times in the last few weeks.

Can someone tell me why on earth these spammers are so insistent that somebody here is in the market for a criminal lawyer?
    @Chaz Hmmmmm, I blame.... Pyrian.  :)
    But it's a white hat!
    @Chaz Hard to tell, probably just a matter of them not caring what anyone on here is into and just looking to get better Google rankings through the links.  Funny enough it now seems to be IP lawyers, which sucks because I've been meaning to start a thread about Leonard French's YouTube channel and associated projects but fear it could get inadvertently caught up in a mass deleting of the spam threads (he's a copyright attorney who does videos about legal topics in the news, on YouTube, etc so several titles I would have wanted to use would have been similar to titles of these spam threads).  He has a few really nice ones posted about Jim Sterling's Digital Homicide case and the h3h3 case as they ran (and this week about that United incident).

Hot damn, first the EC YouTube channel has been hacked, and now this forum's been spammed worse than ever. I WAS GONE FOR TWO DAYS, PEOPLE, AND I'M NOT EVEN A MOD.  :p
    Wow, really? I didn't see anything amiss on the EC YouTube channel. (Although the ME:A animation video is kind of hilarious: "What went wrong with ME:A's animation? I dunno. I guess they didn't have enough time to fix it?") Maybe I slept through it, lol.
  • RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    (I'm going completely off topic for a moment to say that I actually really loved that video on ME:A's animation issues. My personal 'EC sucks now' feeling comes from what I see as them acting as apologists, sometimes even pre-emptively, for the AAA side of the industry whenever they do something shitty or shady, and again sometimes even when they're just preparing to do something shitty or shady.

But even thought the video was essentially a defence of Bioware, one of the Triple-A-est developers out there, I didn't get that vibe at all this time. Possibly because for a change it was very obviously written solely by Dan based directly on his own experiences as an animator. Rather than the usual 'Extra Credits shill for big publishers' videos which are written by James based on what the people at the Triple A studios and publishers who hire him as a consultant tell him about parts (of the industry) he hasn't been involved in for fucking years, if he ever has been.)
    @Pyrian I'm aware of it because I started following them on FB recently. They got hacked and a bunch of vids got replaced. All the more I'm aware of.

@Robrecht While I agree that there is some amount of what feels like them being apologists, I find it's a little too easy to get mad at big money, and ths is coming from someone who has vowed never to work for some soul-sucking corporation ever again. The biggest thing to remember is that you really, honest to goodness, don't know what's going on until you've been there, and each office has it's own environment. While my mother worked for the local newspaper, each department was so drastically different in atmosphere that it was hard to believe they were all the same company, but sure enough they were.

So, I'm more than willing to accept that things are different from my current perspective. That still doesn't mean that I'm going to give any corporation actual sack, just that I'll think twice before causing unnecessary problems.
    @Brother_Nerd It really doesn't take much time to spam flood a forum and we're still not quite to the level of the worst I've ever seen. The amount of spam we're seeing over the last three days is only about a third of what they were getting per day for several months.