PBS Game/Show has ended.

DaikunDaikun Posts: 166Member
Man, this is a bummer. I really liked that show.

Comments

• TheBiggerFishTheBiggerFish Posts: 282Member
    I always thought the show was a hit or miss, mostly miss, but it had plenty of interesting episodes. My personal fave was the creative game awards vid.

Anyways, Resteronis in Pepperonis hipster blaxican gaming guy with lens-less glasses, hope some other hipster needs your talents.
    It's hip to love bees!
  • lightlight Posts: 290Member
    Good riddance.
    Drake Bell!
    Darklurker - Ana - Davey Wreden - Niles - Catwoman - Thwomp - Zazu
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 424Member
    @TheBiggerFish : I always thought the show was a hit or miss, mostly miss, but it had plenty of interesting episodes.
    I fully agree with that.  I was never fond of Jamin's manner of presentation, but found he occasionally had some valuable insight and interesting topics.  If this were the end of Idea Channel I'd be devastated, but here I'm just kinda meh.

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
    I think that Idea Channel jumped the shark into Game Theory-esque pretentious tumblr hipster pandering long ago. But if you still enjoy it, that's fine.
    It's hip to love bees!
  • MixedUpzombiesMixedUpzombies Posts: 67Member
    @light rude

• lightlight Posts: 290Member
    @MixedUpzombies ;disregard my rudeness or don't. I been on an antisocial kick for the last few weeks.
    Drake Bell!
    Darklurker - Ana - Davey Wreden - Niles - Catwoman - Thwomp - Zazu
    @MixedUpzombies Have you secretly been Jamie the Blaxican hipster with lensless shades this whole time?
    It's hip to love bees!
  • MixedUpzombiesMixedUpzombies Posts: 67Member
    @TheBiggerFish no and woah the word your looking for is mixed race since you also misidentified his race while were here.

@MixedUpzombies I'm referencing the fact that he called himself Blaxican in one or two of his videos, I wasn't trying to be racist or anything.  ;)
    It's hip to love bees!
  • NotPlatoNotPlato Posts: 397Member
    @TheBiggerFish ;
    Because yes, reading a text and discussing the ideas within it is tumblr hipster pandering.
    Welcome to The Tangent Hour. I, NotPlato, will be your host tonight.
    I am become moar educated. This isn't even muh final for(u)m.
    In the winding gravel road of literary theory, it is impossible to leave 'no stone unturned'.
    @NotPlato Wait, what text?
    It's hip to love bees!
  • GizenshaGizensha Posts: 230Member
    edited July 2016
    @NotPlato Though it's impossible to deny he's a hipster. No-one in that age range has a vinyl collection that large without being a hipster. It's impossible.
    Post edited by Gizensha on
  • NotPlatoNotPlato Posts: 397Member
    @Gizensha ;
    Oh, sure, hipster, no argument, but there's difference between BEING a pretentious hipster and PERFORMING "pretentious hipster pandering". 
    @TheBiggerFish ;
    If you have a pretty decent grounding in academic analysis of cultural artifacts, you'll be familiar with dissecting things as 'texts'. A play is a 'text', a film can be a 'text', a game can be a 'text', an internet meme can be a 'text'. Being fair, not all of the episodes are about analysing texts, but I'd be surprised to find more episodes than I can count on one hand that don't involve their read on a text at some point, whether they're analysing the text itself or using it as a basis for interpreting something else. 
    Welcome to The Tangent Hour. I, NotPlato, will be your host tonight.
    I am become moar educated. This isn't even muh final for(u)m.
    In the winding gravel road of literary theory, it is impossible to leave 'no stone unturned'.
    edited July 2016
    @Gizensha I'm a mite taken aback at the "in that age range", considering I'm pretty sure he's in his early to mid-30s and many of us in our 30s kinda have, or at one point had, large vinyl collections for a variety of reasons.
    Post edited by vlademir1 on

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
  • UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 244Member
    @NotPlato ;"If you have a pretty decent grounding in academic analysis of cultural artifacts, you'll be familiar with dissecting things as 'texts'. A play is a 'text', a film can be a 'text', a game can be a 'text', an internet meme can be a 'text'."
    Hipster levels rising..............................!!!!
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
  • RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    @Untaxable Are you seriously calling Plato a hipster for explaining the common academic usage of the phrase 'text'? (Mainly as as the root subject of subtext, context and metatext).

@Robrecht I said a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie, To the hip, hip hipster and you don't stop, a rock it
    To the dang dang drama, say, up jump the drama,
    To the rhythm of the drama, the beat.
    Now, what you hear is not a test - I'm hipsterin' to the beat,
    And me, the Chaz, and my Seggies are gonna try to move your memes. 
    ;) 
    It's hip to love bees!
  • DaikunDaikun Posts: 166Member
    edited July 2016
    @Gizensha Exactly what vlademir1 said. I'm in my early 30s and I (and my younger sister, who's still in her 20s) grew up listening to my dad's record collection. Chances are that the host grew up under the same circumstances.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 244Member
    @Robrecht ;
    Yes, though I'm simply using the term as I've been seeing it used #Descriptivism
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
  • ChazChaz Posts: 385Administrator
    When I was 19 I went back to college and attempted to retake my high school exams. I'd got on very well with the younger students there for the same reasons but it became incredibly apparent that when it came to the subject of English, I was miles ahead of them in terms of ability. So being the good friend I was, I'd help try to understand what the lecturer was explaining. Although they appreciated it and even asked for my help they ended up calling me pretentious and a hipster.

Since then it's been clear to me that whenever somebody genuinely uses these words as criticism, what they really mean is "Waaaah, this person is smarter than me."

I never really watched the Game Show, but Mike of The Idea Channel is like the least pretentious person in the world, and his vinyl collection isn't proof he's a hipster but that he has an active interest in music (he plays bass if I recall). And his collection isn't that obscure even.
    @Chaz That's interesting, considering the usage I've seen of the term is rather similar to the dismissive pejorative use of "weeaboo". Specifically the whole "this person cares about stuff I don't and I find that fact off putting" aspect.

• ChazChaz Posts: 385Administrator
    @vlademir1 There's certainly similarities and I'll only ever use the term "weaboo" in a joking way (those that get offended by it really need to look long and hard at their lives though) but the dismissive use of pretentious or hipster is worse in that it promotes anti-intellectualism and/or cultural ignorance.

Weaboo is often used to dismiss or criticise otaku culture which should absolutely be criticised. In the same way as gamer culture should be and usually for the same reasons.
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 288Member
    I once said in all earnestness that I'm not a hipster because I was wearing a fedora before it was cool again. That wasn't very convincing, was it?
    I call myself a hipster in denial and my sister is a self admitted hipster.

Also, who wants a full version of Bonus Points Member's delight? I'll write it and put it in a new topic if you guys want it.
    It's hip to love bees!
  • DaikunDaikun Posts: 166Member
    @TheBiggerFish Please do!
    Cool! Thanks! I'll start working on it soon!
    It's hip to love bees!
    @Chaz While I agree with you in general, I ask people around me to not use pretty much any such pejorative in origin terms even jokingly because it just keeps people focusing on the stereotypes, labels and other things that divide us all from one another rather than all the things that unify us as a species.

@TheBiggerFish I can see where it would be amusing at least to have a parody of Rappers' Delight with local flavor.

• NosyArgentCommanderNosyArgentCommander Posts: 210Member
    I will be honest here, I have never seen this show, so I am unable to make any sincere opinion. Some people wrote wonderful things about it. Other wrote it was utter crap. There is nothing I can take from that, and I am too lazy to watch on my own. ;__;

@notplato: So you are saying idea channel is not tumblr-bait? Last time I saw it, it made a grandious statement that BMO (being of a non-specific gendere and fluid-sexual) was the embodiment of the ideal of feminism. That's as tumblr-bait as you can get.
    I support NotPlatoSimulator2013 on Kickstarter, so should you.
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 287Member
    Gotta get me those hipsters and those tumblrs! They're where the monies at now!

On the topic at hand though; I've watched a fair few of the shows since god knows when and they were fairly light and entertaining in a similar fashion to the regular Ideas Channel episodes. Like any show, topics and episodes vary in quality and how much garbage is thrown out as content, but I'd say that the majority were pretty good. Of coarse now I know it's ending I feel compelled to find and watch the best episode as a kind of fair well event to the series.

I'll just have to go out and find another game analysis series to sink my teeth into now. Any recommendations?
    Dice for the dice gods!
  • NosyArgentCommanderNosyArgentCommander Posts: 210Member
    @Andy_G  Playing devil's advocate, the tumblerites probably are a safe audience. They are always online, have a lot of free time and do free PR for you. If you are chasing clicks and can make your content flashy, surrendering to the tumblr-godess sounds like an smart move to make.
    I support NotPlatoSimulator2013 on Kickstarter, so should you.