Possible Routes of Community Expansion

vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 428Member
Over the last day or so, there has been a tangential topic here about whether we qualify as a fan community for EC, whether we should seek to be listed on the EC site as such a fan community, and the fact that several of us feel a need to attract new people to our community.  A thread dedicated to these topics is needed, so I've started this one.  Unfortunately I'm going to specifically be double posting and referring back to posts in that thread in my next post here, for that I apologize in advance because I know it'll make it more of a mess to follow the start of this ongoing discussion.
I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.

Comments

• Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
    @vlademir1 your honesty and proactiveness are apprectiated.
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 428Member
    @Brother_Nerd

My thing is, first, I don't see us as that far off from our roots as an EC fan forum. Second, if that's not what we are, then what are we? and Third, can we really justify using a full-blown forum for whatever it is, or should we take this to another agreed upon social media outlet that's free? Goodness knows, there're enough out there, there's bound to be 1 we all agree upon. I'd be a tad more comfortable having a thread strictly dedicated to such a topic, though.

You are not wrong that we're not far from whence we came last year.  We are still ultimately a gaming focused community.  We have some other tangential shared interests (many of us like anime and web comics for example) but ultimately it's games (in more or less all their forms) and their adjacent topics that are our core shared interest here. 

That said, tying ourselves as a community to just EC very much works as a disservice to us as a community.  Doing that has two major effects that make me reluctant to support it as an idea.  First if we brand ourselves as a fan community of EC, the bulk of any new people we draw in through that will be coming here first and foremost to discuss the specifics of individual EC episodes and only secondarily to talk about specific games, or gaming hardware, or any other games related media, or anything else we might like to discuss.  I don't per se have any issues with that, but as our record of infrequent posting of threads about most EC episodes suggests, I don't see us having all that much interest among the current crew of regulars in actually discussing most of their new videos even among those of us who are still active fans of their content.  Second, most, though not quite all, of us were around on the EC forums long enough before they closed that we got to experience the distress caused by a certain class of anti-fans that have parked themselves adjacent to EC, one of whom I unfortunately came across recently elsewhere online and he was still just as much a problem as he ever was on the EC forums before being banned.  I'd rather not invite that crew in here to cause problems and make more work for the mods, and they're highly likely to be the first in through the gates if we were to get ourselves listed on the EC site as a fan community.

As far as social media platforms, I personally don't use any of them besides forums, Steam and YouTube. I technically have G+ and Twitter accounts, but I don't ever actually use them.  Steam is less than ideal for purpose, unless we want to play PC games together and nothing else.  YouTube is, more oft than not, a cesspit and near impossible to actually organize a community around without a forum or other gathering point anyway.  As such, you'd all be leaving me, and I presume some others, behind to go find some other community to join.  In point of fact, it was, at least partially, a similar discussion on EC before they closed the forums that lead to the creation of this forum to begin with.

@light

Attaching ourselves to EC should be a more or less unanimous decision so if there are people with strong feelings against it I won't support it either.
    I'd actually argue that such a decision belongs to exactly one person. Though I'd hope and honestly strongly believe that @Ikono would get feedback from the community here first, this is her site.

What if we wrote articles? I have a few theses in mind for games I've played recently.

That brings me more to the actual title topic.  Articles, podcasts, video essays, game projects, etc created by the members of our community and linking back here are, at least, something that can be used to draw new people in.  Similarly things like forum based games and regularly updated discussion threads about various YouTube series and other similar stuff that get people coming here and posting on the regular would also do a lot to bring people in.  Hell, if we can get people to run the Mumble game days more than the once in a blue moon that Sundae shows up and does it that too can be a draw.

As sits I did a walk through all the non-sticky threads on the front page, and the total number of people posting in them is 27.  At least some of whom seem to have fled when the spambots showed up.

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
  • UntaxableUntaxable Posts: 244Member
    @vlademir1 "one of whom I unfortunately came across recently elsewhere online and he was still just as much a problem as he ever was on the EC forums before being banned."
    Oh, how is Draczar doing then?
    Post will probably be edited by Untaxable soon
  • Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
    edited June 10
    @vlademir1 This being up to Ikono is part of why I'm weary of being so swift to dismiss the EC fan forum we originally were. I'm not so sure Iko will feel the same, and well, I know that I, for one, am not donating because I'm trying to use tips and minimum wage to save up for a house. I'm not even donating to my church right now.

As for the anti-fans... it doesn't matter what you do, if you get a name for yourself, someone is going to name you their arch-nemesis. When I was visiting Ponychan, I actually came into contact with -and was part of the reason he was caught- their arch-nemesis. Some mentally unstable guy supposedly from Israel, who had decided it was his sole purpose in life to take down Ponychan, and not only was he nearly successful on several occasions, he was actually really good with software and was bouncing his signal around to be able to get into ponychan despite several IP bans, even making himself appear to be in a country that he wasn't. Hell, even Pheonix Jones had an arch-nemesis for a time. As such, getting anti-fans does not concern me in the slightest, as this is simply an inevitability of fame.

As for our regulars simply being more proactive, no arguments there. That's how we build a community: From the ground up. Being attatched to EC is a great base, and I don't really see that as harmful to the ideas you were putting out there. On the contrary, I see that as an aid- Because Games Matter.
    Post edited by Brother_Nerd on
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 428Member
    @Brother_Nerd I see your viewpoint and it is very much a valid one, but I also can't not stick to my guns on this specific topic.  That may be a result of my own history online, but I've been down the road of watching a community I'm part of and enjoy become seen as the defacto dumping ground du jour for the more toxic elements (especially the already banned ones) of a wider community it had formed within and then either have to fight back to not be seen as a mere total waste of time mess or else embrace the toxic madness on a few occasions before. 

• galdon Posts: 259Member
    edited June 11
    It would be nice to get more people back in here. Lately, the forum has seemed rather quiet. I know literally nothing about community building though so I don't really know anything good to suggest trying, nor do I know which ideas named are good ones. 
    Post edited by galdon on