Extra Credits: A Case of Cutscenes

Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
So, I feel the need to state that I, for one, loathe cutscenes, and am most certainly one of those players who is keen on skipping them. All of them. That said, the Extra Credits team has made:

Now, having watched the video, I can get that. I would certainly still prefer to steer clear whenever possible, but sometimes your gameplay is simply too rigid, and you cannot deliver on the story element with your gameplay for a specific scene. I personally feel a need to strive to do better than that, to incorporate more into the game, but time and money are real world factors to consider when making a game, and it's unheard of right now for any game to truly have an ample supply of both- typically one or the other. On top of that, talent is still to be considered, and that can have a huge affect on the strains of time and money, both.

Comments

• nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 296Member
    I swear we've had this video before xD.
    It was just called cutscenes though
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
  • DaikunDaikun Posts: 169Member
    Yeah, the EC crew tends to go over the same subject more than once.
  • PyrianPyrian Posts: 295Member
    Heh, and that video says "we've talked about this before" in the opening remarks.
  • Brother_NerdBrother_Nerd Posts: 50Member
    Fair enough. Still, sometimes better context is important. I recall still being whole-heartedly against cutscenes for any reason after that video, though.

This one, on the other hand... I can see a reason now, how ever much I may still not like it.

Shoot, the last time, if I recall correctly, someone in the thread's entire argument, that he just kept posting over and over again, with new wording each time, could be best summed up as: "Nuh-uh, Cutscenes are amazeballs, y'all just don't know a good thing when you see it."
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 428Member
    End of the day, the issue is really ultimately about integrating whatever narrative delivery format(s) are used in a game into the overall work.  If any of the parts of a game stick out disproportionately in a negative way themselves or just serve to highlight the problems another has (FF7's in video vs in game action for example) it degrades the entire experience over time spent playing and this is going to be more noticeable when the player doesn't have any input into the proceedings because they are not engaged in the same manner.
    I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.