Anime Thread Tri: The Reboot

Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 287Member
edited January 2016 in Other Mediums
The King is dead. Long live the King!

Winter season has started in in force now and there's definitely a few promising shows out there atm. To me the stand outs so far are; Dimension W, reminding me very much of Cowboy Bebop in the setting and focus on a 'bounty hunter' of sorts, Erased (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi), which seems to be the most unique in story as a thriller of sorts, and finally Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash ( Hai to Gensou no Grimgar), which reminds me of Seraph of the End from the last few seasons with it's water colour backgrounds and general grim atmosphere in contrast with the brighter visuals.

There's a few others from last season like Gundam, Gate and Ass Class, but honestly my interest is in the new shows.
How about the rest of you?

Post edited by Andy_G on
Dice for the dice gods!

Comments

• IkonoIkono Posts: 44Administrator
    Just finished watching episode 3 of Dimension W and definitely adding it to my watch list for now. It's one of those where I'm enjoying what it's trying to build, but I'm not sure how well it'll execute on it in the long run. Erased is definitely on my watch list too, with our protagonist taking time travel lessons from Max and using them to solve a murder mystery that will hopefully turn out more interesting and well executed than Life is Strange's. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one I'm really enjoying too, mostly because it's so damned charming in both its structure and characters, but I'm sure Peregrin will be along before long to sing the praises of it.
    Beyond that, obviously Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans continues to be on my watch list, and despite feeling like there were some pacing issues before the season break, it's definitely kicking it back up in terms of engagement now. I also finally started watching Assassination Classroom off and on, and it's definitely much better than I expected going in.
    Ikono
  • vlademir1vlademir1 Posts: 425Member
    Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Erased are the new standouts this season so far for me.  Assassination Classroom and Durarara are holding up to their previous series.  Dagashi Kashi is fun in it's own way, but isn't per se good nor per se bad.  Ojisan and Marshmallow is a cute short, but has elements I find uncomfortably close to what becomes workplace problems I've dealt with before.  Sushi Police is... I don't even know where to begin talking about it's wacky shenanigans being uncomfortably close to issues I've personally experienced of people being very closed minded in how this or that given food is prepared and presented because tradition.

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Look upon my works and despair!

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
  • RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    I love that AssClass got a second season, that show just makes me feel happy. It's got a good message and pretty good comedy too.

I'm also quite enjoying Active Raid so far. It's got a bit of a PatLabor vibe to it, though it doesn't make a point of having the Mecha be somewhat realistic.

Schwarzes Marken looks alright, seems like it's trying to mix Gundam with Attack on Titan, I'm interested to see where they take it.
  • ChazChaz Posts: 385Administrator
    I'm just here waiting for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 04: Diamond is Unbreakable to start.

• Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 287Member
    edited January 2016
    Ass Class has been an odd show for me and my mates to keep on the watch lists, since it's not the setting I really enjoy at all these days, but I'm getting a nice "To Sir with Love", "Dead Poets Society" or "Mona Lisa's Smile" vibe of teachers actually teaching and inspiring their classes. Except through assassination with the consequences of failing being the destruction of the world. Typical anime ramping things up to 11. :P

Now I feel Gundam: Blood Orphans is suffering in part because they dropped the awesome ending theme that really made the series feel more bombastic. On the other hand I feel they're now relying on our damsel of revolution actually having character and some drive, but so far all she's shown is a truck load of doubt in her own convictions which everyone seems oblivious to. It's not that the boys are much better honestly, but they've at least shown a fair bit of confidence in themselves!

Post edited by Andy_G on
    Dice for the dice gods!
  • MixedUpzombiesMixedUpzombies Posts: 67Member
    Gundam: Thunderbolt episode 2 is out tomorrow, I hope they have someway to watch it other then signing up for the Japan only Gundamfanclub service. 

• The_DudeThe_Dude Posts: 169Member
    I can't wait for the New Berserk Series to come out. I'm in such hype mode for it. And I don't mind the CGI look of it, because from where the trailer looks. It looks really cool, because it has like this sketch artist look to it when the black and white color scheme kicked in and then it returned to the CGI. 

• MagicianArcanaMagicianArcana Posts: 98Member
    Recently I finally jumped aboard the One Punch Man bandwagon. I gotta say it's pretty great! I don't think it lives up to the hype, but I like how it's unique from a lot of other anime I've watched. And I like its sense of humor.
  • RaenirSalazar Posts: 86Member
    Ah so that's what they mean about Berserk being sorta like anime Dark Souls.
  • nujumkeynujumkey Posts: 295Member
    TBH Assasination classroom felt like it was trying to play every anime card it could for me.

Crazy circumstance with lack of explanation?
    is the main character a boy or a girl?
    Constant distraction from the main plot?

I'll pass.

Have been into One punch man a lot. The idea of a character who does heroic acts, but doesn't want fame itself is always interesting to me.
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    BTW: i did like Assasination Classroom, it had a creativity to its characters i liked. But the pacing was weird for me, had a hard time finishing
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    Saitama totes wants fame and it bugs him he's in C-class; he's not a glory hound but he does want what he's due.
  • PeregrinPeregrin Posts: 225Member
    "Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one I'm really enjoying too, mostly because it's so damned charming in both its structure and characters, but I'm sure Peregrin will be along before long to sing the praises of it."

DID SOMEONE SAY BEST SHOW?
    Three episodes into the third series of Yamishibai I'm really feeling like they've gone from the rather creepy feel of the first two series and gotten to just out and out silly.  Peregrin's SD Ougi avatar is creepier than what I've been seeing in the first few episodes of the current series.

Truth is never lying right there on the surface for everyone to quickly find, it requires dedication, the right tools and time.
    @Peregrin so it's good? Gotta say I was intrigued by the premise of it.
    Dice for the dice gods!
  • PeregrinPeregrin Posts: 225Member
    I mean, it's definitely a certain... type of show, I guess? But if you're at all intrigued by non-action, drama-and-character-based anime, then yes, it's the best show I've seen this season.
    @RaenirSalazar he did want fame until he fought the deep sea king. Then something in him changed, maybe from watching Mumen Rider?, where it stopped mattering. Who cares what the people think? I got the impression that the world of One Punch Man is going to be all about who has the peoples favor (because of the blue hair guy), so having Saitama openly reject that he was a good hero really was a statement.
    youtube.com/nujumkey
    Twitter is @nujumkey
    Steam is Nujumkey
    edited February 2016
    Saitama has always been cool in that even though he knows how much he absolutely in a literal way outclasses all the other Heroes, he's a cool dude who still respects them for the effort they put in and how hard they keep trying to be Heroes; effort that in hindsight he wishes he still had to put in instead of having it come so easily to him now. So when he fought the Deep Sea King, and saw how much that twerp was bad mouthing the Heroes who fought so hard to buy time to save as many lives as possible... He felt that acknowledging their sacrifice was more important than whatever minor acknowledgement he'd get from the asshat. He's selfless in that sense even though he'd still [i]very much[/i] would like to make it to S class. I don't see that moment has him deciding to not want fame ever, otherwise he wouldn't still be actively trying to climb the Hero Rankings.

And omg omg omg, Erased is soooooo good. Having more normal sounding J-Drama voice actors makes a huge difference in how I view the show.

Top 10 of All Time Right Here.
    Post edited by RaenirSalazar on
  • AmmypendentAmmypendent Posts: 79Member
    Kono Subarashii has all the ingredients of being trashy and suffering to watch but it somehow manages to hit comedy gold over and over.
  • galdon Posts: 259Member
    So, does anyone have any suggestions for any dubbed anime that could help ease someone into Japanese humor? My girlfriend gets offended if I put in earbuds to watch stuff without her, because she doesn't like feeling left out, but she is unfamiliar with Japanese humor and it often goes straight over her head.

I figure if I could show her some anime with fairly mild humor and work my way up, she might start to understand the humor better. I can't really do Subbed stuff though 'cause I am always multi-tasking and can't focus on reading the dialogue consistently, and she has trouble reading text on my screen from where she sits. 
  • BlaksolBlaksol Posts: 20Member
    Blaksol's Watcher says:
    "Daily lives of Highshool Boys" is a pretty solid entry level series. "Nichijou" is arguably a better series but the humor is likely a bit harder to follow for those not used to it. "Azumanga Daioh" is a middle ground between the two.
  • LulaghzLulaghz Posts: 3Member
    @galdon ; As counter-intuitive as it may seem, I´ve noticed some people have an easier time learning how humor is portrayed by watching shows whose main focus isn´t humor. It gives them time to get used to some of the ideas while not feeling as if they´re missing out on everything if they still don´t get it. Shows like Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist (either 2003 or brotherhood) are good examples of this. Hope she keeps enjoying anime.
    As for this season, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is showing promise simply because it throws my predictions off with its timing.
    I managed to get my sister to watch some Ouran High School Host Club, mostly because of how dumb (and hilarious) it is. Cowboy Bebop was also a strong contender for some episodes, but I'd agree with @Lulaghz that Code Geass or Fullmetal Alchemist would definitely be good first time shows.
    Dice for the dice gods!
    @galdon
    I'm not sure which here are good dubs as I mainly just watch subs, but the humor is mainly fairly culturally neutral and they all have dubs.  Also, they nearly all have other stuff going on to keep one's interest even if one completely misses or just ignores the humor.
    Azumanga Daioh
    Minami-ke
    School Rumble
    Honey and Clover
    Welcome to the N.H.K (may be pushing it a bit)
    Toradora!
    Fruits Basket
    My Teen Romantic Comedy: SNAFU
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Bodacious Space Pirates
    Ranma 1/2 (again may be pushing it, also not a good series to try to marathon if that's your bag)

• galdon Posts: 259Member
    I like FMA, but I have a feeling it might be too dark for my girlfriend; she has a strong aversion to death in movies and tv. Which is why I am trying to focus on comedies for her; to be somewhat safe from causing her distress. I remember she even got upset over the fake-out death in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and that wasn't even gruesome/gory or anything.

I assume Azumanga Daioh is pretty death free, from what I know of the setting, which of those other recommendations are death-free? 

Also, sorry about the slow reply. Last few days have been rather busy. 
  • BlaksolBlaksol Posts: 20Member
    Blaksol's Valkyrie says:
    Watcher's list is safe in that regard, as are most things on Vlad's list.
    Blaksol's Watcher says:
    I will second Ouran, Toradora and Fruits Basket though. Everybody should watch Fruits Basket.
    Blaksol's Valkyrie says:
    I feel it worth noting that while Fruits basket may not get into death all that much the end of that series might get a little dark with its familial abuse for people with a sensitive disposition.
    Blaksol's Watcher says:
    Hush you! It's nothing more than appropriate drama!
    Started watching Sakura Trick, does not let me down.

Of course I have to slightly interpet the relative lewdness by North American standards, that first kiss leading to the tall girl in the main couple now being really turned on by her friend.
  • MixedUpzombiesMixedUpzombies Posts: 67Member
    Gundam Thunderbolt episode 2 was good. It had less epic fights but explored Daryl's backstory in a way I could appreciate. The flashback montages kinda stole the show for anything else but I am interested to see where this goes.

• RobrechtRobrecht Posts: 292Member
    I know it's technically not Anime, but...
    Holy fuck, RWBY got dark.
  • KOKOSternKOKOStern Posts: 148Member
    edited February 2016
    @Robrecht and no more of it :(

Edit: I thought it was weird you're posting, so I looked it up, and FUCK THEY WENT AHEAD AND MADE MORE WITHOUT OUM!

I'm both terrified and insanely excited. How will this be without Oum? This is his baby! I kinda wanna shun the fuck out of it, but on the other hand I WANT MORE RWBY!!! AAAAHHHHH WHAT DO I DOO!
    Post edited by KOKOStern on